Follow us
shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : $0.00
View Cart Check Out

Double Header – Adelaide Adrenaline 18 and 19 August

Double Header – Adelaide Adrenaline 18 and 19 August

Mustangs fans came with high expectations for the last two games in Melbourne and the buzz was high come Saturday afternoon. And, what a game it was. Saturday afternoon provided a highly entertaining game with neither side being able to find the back of the net until well into the 3rd period. Unfortunately it was Adelaide’s Greg Oddy who scored meaning the Mustangs suffered a 1-0 heartbreaking loss.

The Mustangs had a lot of chances – there were two power plays in the first period but unfortunately we couldn’t capitalise despite a lot of offensive pressure. The second period was the same. The Mustangs piled on the pressure but couldn’t find the back of the net. Oliver Wren was great in defence stopping the numerous forays from Adelaide throughout the second period.

With only minutes left the game looked destined for a shoot out. Unfortunately a defensive lapse allowed Oddy to find his way through Wren’s defence and score the winning goal for Adelaide.

It was all Adelaide early on in Sunday’s game. Sean Greer scored at 6:17 in the first, despite ferocious defence, and Greg followed up with another at 13:48. Adelaide opened the second period with two goals in quick succession – at 5:08 and 5:26. At 8:35 in the 2nd the Mustangs first found the back of the net with a goal to Matt Anderson with an assist from Brendan McDowell. At 8:41 the Mustangs drew a penalty shot but unfortunately Vadim Virjassov was unable to convert. Adelaide made the Mustangs pay with another clinical goal 11:40. At 12:19 in the second Ryan Bennett was ejected from the game and the Mustangs were hit with a 5 minute penalty.

With Adelaide incurring a penalty at the end of the 2nd period, the 3d started 4 on 4. It was a completely different Mustangs outfit to that which had played the first two periods. Jake Ebner found the back of the net at 1:02 with assists from Virjassov and Scott Levit. At 4:18 Sean Jones scored another with assists from Matt Anderson and Andrew Belic. At 5:29 Jack McCoy added another and it looked like the Mustangs were back in the game.

Unfortunately it all unravelled at 9:16 when Andrew Belic was hit with a penalty for slashing and the Adrenaline were able to use their extra man advantage to add another goal at 10:14. A valiant display from the Mustangs was brought undone in the 3rd.

Whilst the last two games in Melbourne didn’t go according to script, there are still two more games on the road with the Mustangs heading to the ACT to take on Canberra on August 25 and then Sydney on Sunday 26th to take on the Bears.

Also, make sure you head down to our Presentation night on September 2nd at the Groove Train.